On-The-Go Yummy Snack Mix & Silicone Storage
When my kids were little and then as teens who were involved in multiple activities, we needed an "On-The-Go Snack Mix". We have played with the recipe and it is an EASY throw together mix. We use this snack mix for EVERYTHING, going on trips, all day events, game days, movie nights and any time we want a quick fun snack! We would love to hear what kinds of snack mix your family enjoys!
I have also realized how much better silicone storage is for us and the environment. I have included an informative article published in one of our catalogs about the Pros and Cons of silicone. I wanted to share a couple of our silicone products. I love the cute animal designs of snack containers and the convenience of the flat bottom on the 8 piece set.
On-The-Go Yummy Snack Mix
- 1 box Annie’s Organic Cheddar snack mix
- 1 box Annie’s Organic Chocolate Chip Bunny Grahams
- 1 bag Unreal Milk Chocolate Gems
Pour the snacks in a medium bowl and mix them together. Try storing them in the convenient silicone snack containers.
Pros and Cons of Silicone
What is silicone?
By contrast, silicone is a synthetic polymer that is made up of silicon, oxygen, and other elements, generally carbon, and hydrogen. In other words, silicone is basically either a liquid or a flexible, rubber-like plastic.
Because of its hypoallergenic smoothness, odor, and stain resistance, it makes it the perfect material for eco-friendly and non-toxic baby products in particular.
The 8 amazing benefits of silicone
- Non-stick capabilities mean there’s no need to use grease or baking spray which is a win-win! Saves prep time and extra calories!
- The appealing look comes in a wide variety of colors and shapes.
- Easy to clean because of the non-stick surface. Clean up is a breeze! Warm water and soap or thrown in the dishwasher make for fast clean-up time.
- Temperature resistant allows for large ranges of temperature changes, so it can be used for baking serving and storing food all together with no issues. Temperatures of -76 to 500 degrees.
- Microwave safe. Reheating goods of leftovers can be warmed in the same pan. It can go from the fridge or freezer to reheating in the microwave.
- Food bakes evenly and browns beautifully. Silicone pans stop the baking process once removed from the oven. It cools quickly, making it more convenient for use.
- Despite being lightweight, silicone is a very durable material that can last for a long time. They don’t fade or wear off, won’t get bent or break if accidentally dropped.
- Due to its flexibility, it can be easily stored. It allows for easy collapsing and easy storage for any space. Has
Due to its non-porous characteristics of silicone, it won’t retain odors or colors. The surface doesn’t contain any open pores to harbor bacteria and is hypo allergenic.
Cons of silicone
Silicone is an FDA approved as a “food-safe substance”. Bakeware made from silicone is typically considered safe for food preparation. All bakeware products must be manufactured to meet food contact safety FDA standards. Food grade silicone are non-reactive and shouldn’t leach into food or harm food in any way. However, it will melt if the temperature goes above the safe temperature range but still won’t emit toxic fumes.
Silicone can be too flexible. Floppiness of silicone baking sheets can be an issue making lifting and transferring foods to and from the oven difficult.
Spill risks are higher than that of sturdier bakeware resulting in burns and spills. A resolved solution: using a sturdy baking pan or sheet under the silicone bakeware.
Static tends to build up on silicone utensils and also attracts dust, so cleaning regularly could possibly be a nuisance.
Exposure to high temperatures over long periods has not been studied. It is recommended to use high-quality items made of only FDA-approved food-grade silicone.
There have been reports of odors from some users of silicone products. This is usually due to the use of lower quality and low-grade silicone. These odors can be linked to fillers instead of actual silicone. Products that are made of only quality food-grade silicone will not produce odors. A quick test can be conducted by simply twisting and pinching it. If white colors show, the product contains fillers. It is recommended to discontinue use and look for a higher-grade silicone bakeware instead.
Erika Laudon N.H.
© 2020. Used by permission