National Pie Day
To help you celebrate National Pie Day here is a recipe from Mary Beth, it is good...VERY, VERY, VERY Good!!!!
Sour Cream Apple Pie
-Makes two 9” pies
- Wholly Wholesome Traditional, Whole Wheat, or gluten-free pie shell
Sour Cream Layer
- 8 oz. organic cream cheese (softened)
- 2 Tablespoons Prairie Gold Flour
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup organic sour cream
- 4 cups apples peeled and grated
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup Healthier Option Sweet Mix
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Real salt
- ⅓ cup Clear Jel
- ½ cup salted butter (melted)
- ¾ coconut palm sugar
- 2 ½ cups rolled oats
- ¼ pecans, finely chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Par bake pie shell 10 minutes.
- Divide the sour cream layer evenly in the bottom of the 2 pie crusts.
To make the pie filling:
- Add water, lemon juice, Healthier Options Sweet Mix, and salt in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Mix Clear jel with a small amount of water and add to hot mixture. Cook until it is thickened. Add apples and cook till they’re thickened. Remove from heat and add cinnamon. Spread on top of the sour cream layer.
To make the streusel topping:
- Melt the butter and mix together with the coconut palm sugar, rolled oats, and pecans (optional).
- Mix until crumbs form and top the apple layer with the crumbs.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!